AMPARO Advocacy was funded by the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability to raise awareness about the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities so that people with disability and their families are able to understand and get ready for the NDIS. This work was undertaken through two projects, NDIS Participant Readiness Initiative (PRI), and Targeted Strategies.
This work took place in targeted areas in Queensland through a number of engagement strategies including-
- Holding Information sessions /workshops for CALD communities about the NDIS in their first language.
- Creating resources and translated materials to assist CALD communities prepare for the NDIS.
- Informing community organisations, multicultural workers, settlement workers and community leaders about the NDIS so they can spread the word.
- Providing face to face information sessions (Brisbane, Redlands and Logan) for individuals with disability and their families in their homes with either a Bicultural Community Educator or the assistance of an accredited interpreter.
- Informing people with disability and families from CALD communities about the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
- Encouraging disability services to work in ways that are inclusive of CALD individuals and their families.
- Gathering information and research so we understand what will best help CALD communities to learn about the NDIS.
- Raising awareness within government and community agencies of the importance of developing culturally inclusive strategies and ways of working with CALD communities.
- Helping CALD communities to learn about the rights of people with disability, and their right to a good life.
This work was completed at the end of 2018.