Building the leadership, knowledge and skills of people from CALD backgrounds with disability so that they can be included and actively participate and contribute to their family and community life.
This project is funded through the NDIA’s Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILC) Individual Capacity Building- 2020- 2023.
The project is currently in the planning phase however the timeframe for commencement is affected by Covid-19 restrictions.
This project will work in five targeted areas across Queensland- Brisbane, Logan, Toowoomba, Townsville and Cairns.
The project seeks to build the capacity of individuals from CALD backgrounds with disability and their family member to:
- Increase knowledge and understanding disability
- Increase knowledge of availability of services
- Raise awareness of mainstream and specialist disability services and what steps are needed to access these services, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Make informed decisions, and exercise choice and control
- Speak up and voice concerns and protect their rights and
- Participate and contribute to family and community life
- Access culturally appropriate resources
- Develop connections with their peers
Information and skill development will occur through a range of flexible and culturally appropriate methods.